Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Not Quite There Yet...

I need to get one thing out of the way right now...I'm not actually in Taiwan yet. I'm still in Wisconsin, finishing my last semester of school.

I'm starting this blog because I'm planning on moving to Taiwan soon after I graduate to teach English, and in the meantime I want to keep a sort of journal of my experiences in figuring everything out. Ultimately, I started it so that once I'm there I can keep all of my lovely friends and family updated on my life. I learned in my month in Taiwan last summer that the time difference makes it hard to stay in contact with people back home as much as I'd want to, so at the very least I can keep my blog updated so that my mom can rest easy knowing I'm alive and well even if I haven't gotten a chance to Skype her for a while. 

Right now, I'm still in the beginning stages of getting things ready. Thank goodness my friends Dayna and Lauren are also planning to move to Taiwan at the same time I am...it's really nice to have that support, you know? Anyways, I don't know if you know this, but there's a lot to figure out when trying to move out of the country. For instance, health insurance. I don't really know how that works in Taiwan. I have to put final touches on my resume and apply for jobs. I have to obtain the correct visas. I have to find out how to make payments on my student loans while outside the U.S. I have to find a temporary job as soon as possible so that I can save up some money for when I first get there, before I get any paychecks. I have to somehow come up with over $1,000 so that I can buy a plane ticket. SO MANY THINGS. 

That's basically where I am in my planning process. I'm starting to think about all the things I need to do to make this possible and realizing how much there is to do. But it's okay. I'm becoming more and more certain as time goes on that God wants me in Taiwan. So that's my goal. 

This is not a very exciting blog right now because it's just me talking about getting ready to do something exciting, and not me talking about actually doing anything interesting. But let me leave you with a small sampling of pictures from my trip to Taiwan last summer, which do a pretty good job of keeping me motivated to work hard on getting there:

Lover's Bridge

Really cheap, delicious tea all over the place (not to mention Lauren in the background of half my pictures)

Interesting snacks (this was literally two pancakes with ice cream in the middle...)

The beauty of the mountains and the excitement of the city all in one place...what could be better?

Night Markets! <3 

Again...scenery...beautiful...

Have you figured out that I love the natural scenery?

I just can't explain my love for this place. JUST LOOK AT IT. 

Teahouses in the mountains. Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment